Gynecology is the specialty focused on the sexual health of women and their reproductive system including the vagina, uterus or womb, fallopian tubes and ovaries, in addition to the breasts.
There may be different times in which to perform the gynecology consultation, however, many specialists recommend starting the consultations considering two proposals:
- Between the ages of 13 and 15, once the menarche, or first menstruation, occurs
- Before starting sexual life
From these events it is recommended to carry out a minimum check once a year to detect any anomalies in a preventive manner, and in case of pregnancy, once a month, until the birth of the child to confirm the correct development of the baby.
In a gynecological consultation, a general review of the woman’s health is usually made, including breast examination and, if the patient has already had a sexual life, a vaginal examination. In both cases, what is sought is to verify that organ structures are developing as expected according to the age of the patient. Additional studies may be carried out in some cases, including:
- Breast Ultrasound. Recommended every year from the age of 35, annually
- Mammograms. Recommended to be performed every year from the age of 40, replacing the breast ultrasound, annually. The age may vary if there is a history of breast cancer in the family of the patient, recommending that the study be carried out at least 2 years before the date of detection of the relative who suffered it.
- Pap smear. Recommended to be carried out after the beginning of sexual life, from the age of 21, annually. In this study, a scraping of the cervix is performed, which is subsequently sent to a laboratory study to identify possible lesions related to cervical cancer, one of the most common and silent.
Similarly, in gynecological consultations doubts regarding the menstrual cycle are resolved considering:
- Counting controls, to identify regularity,
- Contraceptive methods recommended for the patient,
- Hormonal imbalances
- Service Type : Medical
- Language: Español, English
- Birth control needs
- Female sexual disorders
- General gynecologic conditions and pelvic pain
- Gynecologic cancers
- Heavy bleeding